Monday, April 21, 2014

Authentic Assessments, Standardized Tests, Training and Common Sense.

Throughout my graduate program, I've experienced many authentic assessments from the point of view of the student.  I've written many lesson plans that used authentic assessments from the point of view of the teacher.

I took many standardized test throughout my k-12 career.  I think I was in 8th grade when the first SOL test was given in 1998, but prior to that, there was some other test - I just don't remember what it was called.  I didn't think much of it because it was ridiculously easy to me...but then I've always been good at choosing A, B, C or D, mostly because I had teachers that taught good test-taking skills (making educated guesses versus just closing your eyes and circling one).

I have been certified as a "Total Trainer" by The Training Clinic based out of California.  As a last step in the certification program, I had to complete an authentic assessment (I had to design a training program to address a problem, them implement it).  I've also been certified as a "Performance Consultant" which also required an authentic assessment prior to getting certified.  In the process of getting certified, we were asked if we (the trainers) ever gave assessments at the end of our workshops or courses.  Our answer was of course, a resounding "no."

I have taught several workshops that used authentic learning experiences and have used an "overall challenge" that enabled participants to show what they've learned, and "publish" it - whether it be online or via a participant-led mini-lesson at the end of class.  These "Overall Challenges" were essentially authentic assessments of what they learned earlier in the workshop.  Sometimes I provided a rubric, sometimes, a reflection and some feedback.  With most participants that authentic learning experience/authentic assessment provided an opportunity to solidify thought processes and concepts taught.

Some of our trainers have tried giving multiple choice tests, and the participants simply look at us and say "really?!"  They then get super stressed and forget what they've learned and the whole exercise seems pointless.

What does this mean for the classroom?  I feel like standardized tests that offer 4 or 5 choices per question don't really measure a student's understanding of a concept.  They do stress everyone out (students, teachers and parents), they do create additional curriculum for teachers to cover (read test-taking skills), they do create a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, they do tend to make teachers feel like they have to teach to the test, they do focus on memorization as well as several other not-so-great things.

Standardized tests do not focus on understanding or application.  Standardized tests do not focus on preparing our students for the real world.  Standardized tests do not truly measure a students grasp on a concept, or thought process, or their ability to see the "big picture".  Authentic assessments do.

As a student, a trainer, a performance consultant, a techie, and an educator I realize that standardized tests seem to be a necessary evil, but I'm amazed at the number of decisions that seem to be made based on test scores, when the tests don't seem to truly measure student learning.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but it seems to me that the true measurement of student learning is (or at least should be) through application of concepts.

I'll get off my soap box for now.  Thoughts?

No comments: